San Diego

Featured resource

San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau Collection, 1951-1976 (6.25 linear ft.) [ MS-0204 LA 4410, Special Collections and University Archives ]
[ http://library.sdsu.edu/guides/resourcelink.php?id=978 ]

The San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau has evolved from three predecessor organizations, the oldest of which dates to 1919. Following an economic lapse in the 1930s-40s, the visitor industry of San Diego began to show strong potential in the 1950s, and the idea was put forth that all visitor industry promotional groups would be joined together in one organization. In 1954, the San Diego City and County Visitors and Convention Bureaus were consolidated into one organization called the San Diego Convention and Tourist Bureaus, later renamed the San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau. San Diego was the first city to sustain a visitor promotion unit, and it still is considered by most bureau managers across the nation to be the best organized in the nation. The collection includes reports, studies, financial records, research files, purchase orders, correspondence, public relations materials, media campaigns, conferences, speeches, brochures, promotional publications, photographs, and transparencies.

Research assistance

Reference Desk
General Research Assistance
Location: 1st Floor Library Addition
Phone: (619) 594-6728
eref AT rohan DOT sdsu DOT edu
Special Collections and University Archives
Special Collections Research Assistance
Location: 4th Floor Library Addition
Phone: (619) 594-6791
scref AT rohan DOT sdsu DOT edu