- Flora of North America North of Mexico [ QK 110 F55 1993 Reference ] 1993 to present.[ http://library.sdsu.edu/guides/resourcelink.php?id=277 ]
Will present a complete list and description of all bryophytes, pteridophytes, gymnosperms, and angiosperms found in the United States and Canada. Distribution maps and species keys are included. The first volume consists of essays on plant evolution, taxonomy, ethnobotany, and other topics.
- Plants Database[ http://library.sdsu.edu/guides/resourcelink.php?id=276 ]
This USDA database pulls together information from a variety of sources, providing names, distribution data, brief descriptions, images, crop information, and links to other resources. It include "the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories."
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity [ QH 541.15 B56 E53 2001 Reference ]
Lengthy articles with bibliographies. While biased towards animals, there are good overviews of ecological communities of various areas as well as articles on plant ecology. Somewhat lacking in maps and illustrations.
- An Illustrated Guide to the Protozoa: Organisms Traditionally Referred to as Protozoa, or Newly Discovered Groups [ QL 366 I44 2000 Reference ] 2nd ed.
Nothing else pulls together so much information on these mostly obscure (but fascinating) groups of organisms.
- Algae : anatomy, biochemistry, and biotechnology [ QK 566 .G83 2006 5th Floor Books ]