The Library accepts applications for student assistant positions ONLY during the library application period for each semester/term.
The library application period starts on the same day SDSU registration begins, and ends on the last day of the add/drop period. Please refer to the SDSU academic calendar for the appropriate dates.
Please apply in person at the library administration office, LA-2250, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Tips and information:
- Submitting an application does not guarantee a position (please understand that openings are scarce and the competition is intense).
- Please pay close attention to the instructions in the application; every question needs to be answered.
- Your probability for being hired increases with your schedule availability, and with the ability to write about yourself (applications with blanks normally go unnoticed). Attaching a resume is not required, but it isn't a bad idea.
- Keeping the information on your application up-to-date provides you with the best opportunity to obtain a position in the library. If you have a change of address, phone number, or class schedule, please go to LA 2250 and ask to revise your application.
- Applications are kept on file for one semester only. If you are hired outside the library, please let us know so we can remove your application from our files.
- IMPORTANT: Emailing or contacting library personnel (other than the library administration front office) to seek a job is discouraged. Please refrain from doing so. Students who contact library staff directly about jobs are NOT considered good candidates.
We offer internship opportunities for library school students and others.
When there are open administrative positions they can be viewed at the SDSU Center for Human Resources
When there are open staff positions they can be viewed at the SDSU Center for Human Resources
Special Collections and University Archives Job #5244 Library Services Specialist I
Full-time, permanent (probationary) position.Under the general direction of the Head of Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA), this position leads student assistants, answers informational and reference questions at the SCUA reference desk, accessions archival collections and processing, coordinates the departmental office and unit administrative tasks, participates in preservation activities and maintains stack maintenance; The incumbent also handles duplication requests and provides scans, xerographic copies and photographic reproductions of materials requested by patrons and other libraries; In addition, this position also serves the general needs of the department of SCUA, requisition of supplies, maintenance of statistics and other responsibilities. To view the full version of the job description, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
Media Center Job #5286 Library Services Specialist I
Full-time, temporary position anticipated to end on or before one year from the initial date of appointment with the possibility for reappointment and/or permanency. Under the general supervision of the Media Center Lead, this position will provide assistance for day-to-day operations of the Media Center, student training and lead activities, maintenance of the areas collections and equipment, and some patron instruction. Incumbent will balance time working the media service desk and working on special projects coordinated by the Media lead. Additional duties include assisting in the creation of media instructional materials and assisting students with technology enhanced study rooms. To view the full version of the job description, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
More information on our temporary librarian pool is available.
STEM Librarian - Engineering & Math Concentration
San Diego State University Library and Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative and service-oriented candidates for the position of STEM librarian – Engineering and Math Concentration. This position is open to both entry level and senior level candidates, hiring at the Senior Assistant Librarian. To view the full version of the position, scroll the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
Entrepreneurial/ Marketing and Business Data Librarian
San Diego State University Library and Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative and service-oriented candidates for the position of Entrepreneurial/Marketing and Business Data Librarian. This position is open at the entry and mid-level; hiring is at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank. To view the full version of this position, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
Special Collections and University Archives Librarian - Temporary Position
San Diego State University Library and Information Access seeks applications and nominations for an experienced, service-oriented librarian in its Department of Special Collections and University Archives. Special Collections houses approximately 60,000 rare books and over 500 manuscript and archival collections. To view the full version of the position, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.