Applications will be accepted electronically only. Read below for information.
The Library accepts applications for student assistant positions ONLY during the library application period for each semester/term. You must have registered for classes and have a finalized schedule before submitting your application.
To apply for a student assistant position click on the following link: Student Assistant application. You must save the SA application to your computer or a USB drive, then close the window and reopen the SA application using Adobe Acrobat. If you do not do this, your application will be blank when it is received.
When you have completed the application, please Email to the Library Administration Office: email@example.com with First Name.Last Name; SA Application; Semester/Year in the subject line: ie. (Joe.Smith SA Application Fall 2014).
Applications will only be accepted from the first day SDSU registration begins through the last day of the add/drop period. Please refer to the SDSU academic calendar for the appropriate dates.
- Please note, you must be enrolled in at least 6.0 units (undergraduate) or 5.0 units (graduate) in order to be eligible for student employment at SDSU.
Interview Process (Unit Supervisors)
- Vacancies are determined by the unit supervisors. Unit supervisors review the applications in order to match skills, experience, and schedules of applicants with their particular needs. Unit supervisors are also responsible for contacting applicants to schedule interviews for any vacancies in their units.
- When you are contacted by a supervisor to come in for an interview, be sure to note the name of the supervisor and the room number where your interview will be held. The Library Administration office does not have this information.
- If you are hired, you must provide the following items:
- SDSU photo I.D.
- Original Social Security Card (you cannot work without this)
- Work Study Certification Card (Work Study Students Only)
- International Students may have to provide additional documents
Keeping Your Application Active
The majority of vacancies occur during the first month of the semester; however student assistants are hired throughout the semester as vacancies occur. It is important, therefore, that your application contain current information, particularly your telephone number and e-mail address.
If you have a change of address, phone number, or class schedule, please revise your application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you have revised your application.
Applications are kept on file for one semester only. If you are hired outside the library, please let us know so we can remove your application from our files.
Tips and information:
- Submitting an application does not guarantee a position (please understand that openings are scarce and the competition is intense).
- Read the instructions for the application; every question needs to be answered.
- Your probability for being hired increases with your schedule availability, and with the ability to write about yourself (applications with blanks normally go unnoticed). Attaching a resume is not required.
- IMPORTANT: Emailing or contacting library personnel (other than the library administration front office) to seek a job is discouraged. Please refrain from doing so. Students who contact library staff directly about jobs are NOT considered good candidates.
We offer internship opportunities for library school students and others.
Analyst/Programmer, Career, Library and Information Access
Job ID: 5421
Location: San Diego Main Campus
Full-time, permanent (probationary) position.
The incumbent will help support the Library’s current website (http://library.sdsu.edu ) and work with staff and faculty to create web-based applications, graphics and creative content to showcase the future of digital discovery and learning. This position will also help develop and implement web marketing strategies through various digital channels including Drupal custom themes and modules, social media, web banners, digital signage, digital video, mobile and other interactive and online mediums. The Web Designer must stay current on new and emerging technologies and possess the level of graphic design skill needed to ensure that all web and marketing initiatives adhere to the highest design standards.
This individual will be responsible for ensuring the library web properties comply with California State University (CSU) accessibility standards, and will work with the Library web team to understand user needs and translate those needs into a visually appealing and functional web design.
To view the full version of the position description select the appropriate PDF document below or select the position titile.
Open Library Administration positions may be viewed at the SDSU Center for Human Resources. You must apply for all positions through the Center for Human Resources.
More information on our temporary librarian pool is available.
Tenure Track Positions
San Diego State University Library & Information Access is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Health & Life Sciences Librarian. This position will provide reference, library instruction, outreach, and collection development for the health sciences, life sciences and related fields. The Health & Life Sciences Librarian will also work at the general reference desk and provide undergraduate information literacy instruction.
The successful candidate will have an ALA accredited Master’s degree or equivalent international degree; an undergraduate or graduate degree in the life sciences, a related health discipline, or at least two years’ experience in an equivalent research library; an understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in the fields of health and the life sciences; knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in science librarianship; strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills; ability to work effectively in collegial environments; and a commitment to fostering diversity.
To view the full version of the position, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document or select the position title.