The Library accepts applications for student assistant positions ONLY during the library application period for each semester/term.
The library application period starts on the same day SDSU registration begins, and ends on the last day of the add/drop period. Please refer to the SDSU academic calendar for the appropriate dates.
Please apply in person at the library administration office, LA-2250, Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Tips and information:
- Submitting an application does not guarantee a position (please understand that openings are scarce and the competition is intense).
- Please pay close attention to the instructions in the application; every question needs to be answered.
- Your probability for being hired increases with your schedule availability, and with the ability to write about yourself (applications with blanks normally go unnoticed). Attaching a resume is not required, but it isn't a bad idea.
- Keeping the information on your application up-to-date provides you with the best opportunity to obtain a position in the library. If you have a change of address, phone number, or class schedule, please go to LA 2250 and ask to revise your application.
- Applications are kept on file for one semester only. If you are hired outside the library, please let us know so we can remove your application from our files.
- IMPORTANT: Emailing or contacting library personnel (other than the library administration front office) to seek a job is discouraged. Please refrain from doing so. Students who contact library staff directly about jobs are NOT considered good candidates.
We offer internship opportunities for library school students and others.
When there are open administrative positions apply at the SDSU Center for Human Resources
When there are open staff positions apply at the SDSU Center for Human Resources
Director of Budget and Administrative Operations
Reporting to the Dean, Library and Information Access, the Director of Budget and Administrative Operations provides high level, knowledgeable advice on administrative operations issues, including budget, procurement, statistical reporting, facilities management, and cost accounting. He/She manages the $9.4 million budget, develops and supervises the management and analysis of all budgets.
The Director of Budget and Administrative Operations participates in development efforts and leads cost analysis efforts, assessing, and evaluating the impact of library resource allocations. The individual in this position advises the Dean and other members of Management Team on budget issues and participates in making budget decisions. This person is the Library's liaison with Academic Affairs on budget, and as such, is responsible for interpreting and implementing the budgetary and procedural policies of Academic Affairs.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
To view the full version of the position description scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
More information on our temporary librarian pool is available.
San Diego State University Library and Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative and service-oriented candidates for the position of STEM librarian – Engineering and Math Concentration. This position is open to both entry level and senior level candidates, hiring at the Senior Assistant Librarian. To view the full version of the position, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
San Diego State University Library and Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative and service-oriented candidates for the position of Entrepreneurial/Marketing and Business Data Librarian. This position is open at the entry and mid-level; hiring is at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank. To view the full version of this position, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.
San Diego State University Library and Information Access seeks applications and nominations for an experienced, service-oriented librarian in its Department of Special Collections and University Archives. Special Collections houses approximately 60,000 rare books and over 500 manuscript and archival collections. To view the full version of the position, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the appropriate PDF document.