Library Student Assistant
Applications for the Fall 2015 semester will be accepted from July 1, 2015 through the Drop/Add Date.
Applications will be accepted electronically only. Read below for information.
The Library accepts applications for student assistant positions ONLY during the library application period for each semester/term.
To apply for a student assistant position download the PDF "Library Student Assistant Application" at the bottom of this page. You must save the application to your computer or a USB drive, then close the browser window and reopen the application using Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you fill out the application in the browser, your application will be blank when it is received.
When you have completed the application, please Email it to the Library Administration Office: firstname.lastname@example.org with First Name.Last Name; SA Application; Semester/Year in the subject line: ie. (Joe.Smith SA Application Fall 2015).
- Please note, you must be enrolled in at least 6.0 units (undergraduate) or 5.0 units (graduate) in order to be eligible for student employment at SDSU.
- If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, please indicate this clearly on your application. You may find your award in your WebPortal. If you cannot find the amount of your award, please mark "pending" in the appropriate blank on the form.
Interview Process (Unit Supervisors)
- Vacancies are determined by the unit supervisors. Unit supervisors review the applications in order to match skills, experience, and schedules of applicants with their particular needs. Unit supervisors are also responsible for contacting applicants to schedule interviews for any vacancies in their units.
- When you are contacted by a supervisor to come in for an interview, be sure to note the name of the supervisor and the room number where your interview will be held. The Library Administration office does not have this information.
- If you are hired, you must provide the following items:
- SDSU photo I.D.
- Original Social Security Card (you cannot work without this)
- Work Study Certification Card (Work Study Students Only)
- International Students may have to provide additional documents
Keeping Your Application Active
The majority of vacancies occur during the first month of the semester; however student assistants are hired throughout the semester as vacancies occur. It is important, therefore, that your application contain current information, particularly your telephone number and e-mail address.
If you have a change of address, phone number, or class schedule, please revise your application and email it to email@example.com indicating that you have revised your application.
Applications are kept on file for one semester only. If you are hired outside the library, please let us know so we can remove your application from our files.
Tips and information:
- Submitting an application does not guarantee a position (please understand that openings are scarce and the competition is intense).
- Read the instructions for the application; every question needs to be answered.
- Your probability for being hired increases with your schedule availability, and with the ability to write about yourself (applications with blanks normally go unnoticed). Attaching a resume is not required.
Student Technology Advisor, build IT @SDSU Library
Hours per Week: 10-20 hours/week. Flexible Schedule
Anticipated Hiring Range: $10.00 per hour
Essential Job Duties: Student Technology Advisors at build IT @SDSU Library provide excellent customer service to library users at this new makerspace. Student Technology Advisors assist patrons with specialized technology needs in build IT @SDSU Library. Students will work on directed projects in areas of digital media, such as web design, video creation, graphic design, and digital fabrication. Student Technology Advisors are entrusted with a high level of responsibility and have the opportunity to develop creative solutions to technical challenges. They gain real-world, hands on experience. Work schedule will be based on availability and will include a required weekly meeting; may include nights and weekends.
Experience and skills in either audio and video editing and creation, graphic design software, web design and development, or 3D design and fabrication.
Software and hardware skills should include some combination of: Adobe Creative Suite, 3D modeling/creation tools (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Blender, MakerBot) ; movie editing (Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, chroma key compositing); audio/music production (Audacity, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, GarageBand, Soundbooth); video hardware, format conversions; web development (WordPress, Dreamweaver); and microcontrollers (Arduino, Raspberry Pi).
Excellent communication and customer service skills.
Problem solving ability. Able to learn new skills via hands on experience with novel technology and through technical documentation. Flexibility and willingness to learn new skills/information and take on new tasks.
Experience in consulting, teaching, or tutoring is desirable.
Apply online at Aztec Career Connection. Submit a student assistant application, resume, and optional cover letter by July 17, 2015.
Jenny Wong-Welch, firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer internship opportunities for library school students and others.
Library Service Specialist II, Job 5777
Open Staff positions may be viewed at the SDSU Center for Human Resources. From the homepage select "Employment and Classification" then select "Recruitment" and follow the appropriate links to search for the open position. You must apply for all positions through the Center for Human Resources.
Library Director of Budget and Fiscal Services, Job 5735
Open Library Administration positions may be viewed at the SDSU Center for Human Resources. From the homepage select "Employment and Classification" then select "Recruitment" and follow the apprpriate links to search for the open position. You must apply for all positions through the Center for Human Resources.
More information on our temporary librarian pool is available.
Tenure Track Positions
There are currently no faculty positions.