Appealing Library Fines
If you believe the Library has charged you in error or if the charges are due to special circumstances you may file an on-line appeal. Charges may be upheld, reduced or cancelled. Appeals must be filed within 30 days of billing.
To appeal a library fine, please complete the form below, and then submit it to be reviewed. You may also want to print a copy of this page for your records. You will be contacted by email of the appeal decision within 10 business days during normal activity levels.
All decisions are final. Reasons not considered as a basis for waiving fines include:
- Lack of understanding of Library Policies
- Unwillingness to take responsibility for loaned materials
- Non-receipt, late receipt, or inattention of notices
- Left for campus intersession, holidays, or vacation
- Problem with renewing online
- Item borrowed by friend, family, or co-worker
- Item lost or stolen
- Forgot due date
- Can not afford the fines/fees
- Inclement weather
* Please note, accounts submitted to the Cashier's Office for collection cannot be considered for appeal. Paid fines will not be reviewed for appeal.
Please state the reason(s) for your appeal; supporting documentation such as notices, names/signature of library personnel, filed reports, police reports, etc. may be requested before a decision is made. Supporting documentation can be turned into the circulation desk or faxed to 619-594-0742. Please include your Red ID Number on the documentation to reference your appeal.